What is International Helmet Awareness Day?
In 2010, Riders4Helmets hosted the first national event designed to educate equestrians on the benefits of wearing a properly fitting, secured and certified helmet. The event brought over 300 U.S.-based retailers and eight helmet manufacturers together, to help educate their customers on topics such as correct helmet fit and why wearing a helmet is important.
Since that day, Riders4Helmets expanded the event globally. Riders4Helmets International Helmet Awareness Day 2015 received support from 16 helmet manufacturers and equestrian retailers in sixteen countries.
Locate your nearest retailer/tack shop at this link (participating retailer map).
What are the benefits to equestrians?
- The opportunity to be educated by retailers on the importance of wearing a properly fitted and secured, certified helmet.
- The opportunity to participate in helmet fitting demonstrations.
- The opportunity to purchase a helmet at a one-time special discount offered only on International Helmet Awareness Day.
- Riders4Helmets will host a series of live educational webinars on Riders4Helmets.com during the 2016 Riders4Helmets International Helmet Awareness Day. Viewers will be able to ask “real-time” questions to these experts. Details of who the experts will be, along with the topics that they will discuss, will be available nearer the date.
When Is International Helmet Awareness Day?
- International Helmet Awareness Day 2016 will be held Saturday September 17th, 2016.
How do I find a participating retailer?
- You may use the search function on this website to locate participating equestrian retailers by “name” or by entering your address to find participating retailers located nearest to you. Equestrians are encouraged to visit Riders4Helmets.com on a regular basis for updates with regard to the event.
How can equestrians get involved?
- If your club or organization is interested in hosting their own event to celebrate the day, they may email email@example.com. We can send interested parties safety brochures at a small charge (to cover our costs).
- We will be happy to help promote any event by posting details of it on Riders4Helmets.com and also on our Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages. Equestrians are encouraged to take lots of photos of their event and write up a short description of what they did, and who participated. This will then be included as a feature article on the Riders4Helmets campaign website.
How can you help?
- The more you write, blog, post, tweet and, in general, share the details of International Helmet Awareness Day with equestrians in the build up to the event … the more people will have an opportunity to get educated on the benefits of wearing a helmet. Your sharing information on the event with others might just save a life.
- Logos, photographs and quotes for Riders4Helmets International Helmet Awareness Day 2016 may be obtained by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Riders4Helmets was founded in early 2010 after Olympic dressage rider Courtney King-Dye was seriously injured in a riding accident. King-Dye, who remained in a coma for a month following her accident, was not wearing a helmet at the time of the accident and continues to undergo rehabilitation. The goal of the Riders4Helmets Campaign is to educate equestrians on the benefits of wearing a properly fitted and secured, certified helmet. For more information on the Riders4Helmets campaign, visit riders4helmets.com. You can also follow the campaign at www.facebook.com/riders4helmets , www.instagram.com/riders4helmets and www.twitter.com/riders4helmets.